What is Global Education?
Global Education within GLEN
Global Education is a creative approach of bringing about change in our own society.
Global Education is an active learning process based on the universal values of tolerance, solidarity, equality, justice, inclusion, co-operation and non-violence.
Global Education begins with raising awareness of global challenges such as poverty, unfair distribution of opportunities and resources, environmental degradation and climate change, violent conflict and non-respect of human rights. It then creates a deeper understanding of the complex underlying issues. Thereby it aims at changing people‘s attitudes and encourages them to reflect on their own role in the world. Global education motivates and empowers people to become active as responsible global citizens.
Global Education addresses certain topics, e.g.
- global justice
- human rights
- environmental sustainability
- intercultural communication
Global Education applies a certain methodological approach, e.g.
- it is learner-centred
- it is participatory
- it is partnership-based: the educator is not a teacher who transmits knowledge
- or skills, but is a learner as well
- it addresses, in the learning process, reflection (head), emotions (heart) and
- activity (hand)
- it is experience-based
- it is activating
- it is empowering
Global Education is based on values, e.g.
Global Education is a process
- it begins with raising awareness of certain problems
- it then creates a deeper understanding of the complex underlying issues
- it encourages people to reflect on their own role in the problem, and therefore
- change their attitudes and behaviour
- it motivates and empowers people to become active in a responsible way
Involvement and action in Global Education in Europe is the essence of GLEN.
By offering a multipliers training cycle, GLEN provides young people with first hand experiences from the South as well as skills and knowledge for Global Education activities on national and European level.